Why People Suck
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why People Suck is a forum dedicated to free speech and discussion. You may discuss or vent about any topic without censorship. Create an account and share your opinions on how the world sucks and what should be done about it.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan
Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 3:48 am by demonist

» Medical Billing and Coding Could I work in a dentist office?
Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 6:16 am by matthew

» American Idiot, The Musical
Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 5:39 am by elaine

» We Are So Fucked, Our Politicians Couldn't Be Any Dumber
Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 6:23 am by elaine

» Stupid Sayings (idioms)
Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 3:23 pm by Hlok

» We are looking for articles on the following topics:
Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:22 pm by Hlok

Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:17 pm by Hlok

Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:13 pm by Hlok

Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:08 pm by Hlok

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 15 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:21 am
Top posters
Hlok (92)
Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. I_vote_lcapGoing to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. I_voting_barGoing to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. I_vote_rcap 
TheDevilsAdvocate (80)
Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. I_vote_lcapGoing to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. I_voting_barGoing to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. I_vote_rcap 
pinkladeriz (7)
aram624 (6)
peeyount (4)
Satellite One (3)
elaine (2)
RandomDude (1)
matthew (1)
vytmay (1)
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof..

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
pinkladeriz
Ol' Bitty
Ol' Bitty
pinkladeriz

Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. Empty
PostSubject: Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof..   Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 11:42 pm

I, like so many others, have been practically bombarded since birth with the message that one must go to college to ever succeed in the "Real World." We go through our grade school years knowing that we are moving on to high school, where we must lay an essential foundation for our college years, and pretty much the rest of our working lives. I have never understood how people can place so much emphasis on the importance of college while knowing full well that unless you...
A) went to Harvard
B) grew up in a rich family where mommy and daddy were b/fs with a CEO of some company and got you a job
C) screwed the right person/people to get you the job
D) got extremely fucking lucky
E) somehow got 10 years worth of extremely specific work experience despite of the fact that 10 years ago you were just turning 16 and couldn't even legally drive..
..it is impossible to gain a job with any kind of worth after college.

It is my belief that my peers (particularly those between the ages of 22-30) have become the greatest casualty of this piece-of-shit reality. Far too many people that I know have student loans of $20K and more and are stuck working in shitty jobs that realistically you barely need a high school diploma to be considered qualified. I recently discovered that I girl with whom I went to high school with works as a manager of a Rita's. Another person whom I know graduated from college works as supervisor at Starbucks. And for myself, I work as a jewelry salesperson in a failing jewelry store with a Master's Degree in Industrial/Organizational Psychology. How's THAT for a waste of $35K? Needless to say, this trend NEEDS to change.

Blame what ever you want on the sagging economy, high unemployment, and the fact that I, and so many others, have JUST earned our degrees. The fact of the matter is that the bachelor's degree has somehow become as commonplace as a high school diploma. Employers are seeing it as less of a symbol of maturity and dedication to education and more of a minimum requirement for their $8/hr stock boy job. Is it wrong to brainwash innocent children into thinking that a college education will secure them for life with the career of their dreams? Absolutely. Let's get honest people...the "Real World" may not be pretty but it should at least be realistic.

-A Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. Star3
Back to top Go down
Hlok
Admin
Admin
Hlok

Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof..   Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof.. Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 2:20 am

E) somehow got 10 years worth of extremely specific work experience
despite of the fact that 10 years ago you were just turning 16 and
couldn't even legally drive..
..it is impossible to gain a job with any kind of worth after college.

Besides the fact that this is already ridiculous, you will constantly see this on every job requirement from oral surgeon to cashier at walmart. And I would like to point out that while the friends that are managers sound like they are doing well since they are 'managers' I am sure that they make ten dollars per hour or less even though they are literally running the company. It always amazed me how little owners and CEOs were willing to pay the people who actually made the money for them. We might as well just go back to being serfs, there was less stress then since you did not have to worry about paying the bills..
Back to top Go down
http://wpsf.omgforum.net

Going to College and Its Place In the "Real World"..or Lack Thereof..
Page 1 of 1