Why People Suck
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why People Suck is a forum dedicated to free speech and discussion. You may discuss or vent about any topic without censorship. Create an account and share your opinions on how the world sucks and what should be done about it.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan
The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 3:48 am by demonist

» Medical Billing and Coding Could I work in a dentist office?
The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 6:16 am by matthew

» American Idiot, The Musical
The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 5:39 am by elaine

» We Are So Fucked, Our Politicians Couldn't Be Any Dumber
The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 6:23 am by elaine

» Stupid Sayings (idioms)
The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 3:23 pm by Hlok

» We are looking for articles on the following topics:
The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:22 pm by Hlok

The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:17 pm by Hlok

The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:13 pm by Hlok

The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:08 pm by Hlok

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 15 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:21 am
Top posters
Hlok (92)
The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan I_vote_lcapThe Dalai Lama is just another charlatan I_voting_barThe Dalai Lama is just another charlatan I_vote_rcap 
TheDevilsAdvocate (80)
The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan I_vote_lcapThe Dalai Lama is just another charlatan I_voting_barThe Dalai Lama is just another charlatan I_vote_rcap 
pinkladeriz (7)
aram624 (6)
peeyount (4)
Satellite One (3)
elaine (2)
RandomDude (1)
matthew (1)
vytmay (1)
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TheDevilsAdvocate
Admin
Admin
TheDevilsAdvocate

The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan Empty
PostSubject: The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan   The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 8:20 pm

I hate the Dalai Lama. He is a complete phony, and the bullshit that he spews doesn’t even make sense half of the time. The only reason he is not called on his bullshit is because he hides behind his nonsense hippie eastern philosophies. His philosophies aren’t much more complex than that ridiculous book a while back called “the secret” that claimed that you could acquire anything you wanted through will power alone. He does what every religious huckster does; he makes baseless assertions with utter disregard for facts. He knows he can get away with it because he knows his fawning audience will unabashedly accept his every word without the slightest scrutiny. He is a hypocritical, dishonest fraud.

I’m going to analyze some quotes of his in order to prove that he is nothing more than a snake-oil salesman more interested in the speaking fees he commands, than the truth value of the things he says. Some of these quotes come from a youtube video called “revealed top 10 Dalai Lama quotes”. The douche bag narrating the video is the stereotypical new age hippie con man trying to be prolific and deeply spiritual while spouting rhetoric that is devoid of common sense.

He starts: “the following are some really wise and inspirational quotes from his holiness, the Dalai Lama. I recommend that you close your eyes (a symbolically appropriate gesture if you ask me) and for the next couple of minutes, really let these quotes sink in.” Of course he also recommends you start with a nice relaxing deep breath, because otherwise it wouldn’t meet new age hippie standards for legitimacy. It also infuriates me how they always refer to douche bags like the Dalai Lama with titles like “his holiness” as if that should inspire respect or awe. Being spiritual is not a particularly important aspect of a person, there is no reason to put someone on a pedestal because they claim to be spiritual.

On to the Dalai Lama himself, I will start each paragraph with his quote then give my rebuttal. First: “The most important thing in life is human affection. Without it, one cannot achieve genuine happiness. And if we want a happier life, a happier family, and happier neighbors, the key is inner quality.” First off, the two ideas are non-sequiturs. They have no relation to each other, and therefore it is an illogical statement, and hard to understand exactly what he is trying to say. He starts by referring to “human affection” as the path to genuine happiness, but then changes his mind and declares “inner quality” as the true key to happiness. The problem is that these two concepts are not the same thing, granted that “inner quality” is extremely vague, holding true to religious shill techniques. I would be far more likely to accept the second statement than the first, and indeed the second statement disproves the first. If you actually develop inner sustainable and commendable qualities that do not rely upon others, your likely hood of remaining happy is greater. And since these qualities are within you, you will not be reliant on affection or attention from anyone else.

“You cannot change your mind without meditation.” Once again a baseless assertion, but it is also another case of a vague definition. It sounds like he is trying to cloud the distinction between meditation, which just so happens to be a practice he endorses, and reflection or contemplation. If he were to revise his statement to the words reflection and contemplation, I would have no problem with it. However, that doesn’t serve his purposes as a self-promoter. While meditation can be a similar activity, it is not identical, and not necessary at all to change your mind. I have changed my opinion on many things, yet I have never meditated, that alone proves me right. And careless, dishonest statements like this not only demonstrate what a phony he is, but they are also the reason why I cannot stand him. He profits on misinformation and frivolous expressions.

“The key factor that motivates all action, even worldly action is the motivation to attain the path that leads to enlightenment.” Do I even have to say how this is ridiculous? So then the motivating factor for priests sticking their dicks in little boys was that they were looking for enlightenment? Because molestation is an action, so it must count in “all action”. His statement is ridiculous because he is asserting what he cannot possibly know, the thoughts and motivations of every other human being. When you think about it, it is just a tad arrogant, but what do you expect from someone who was told at the age of four that he was special, and a spiritual leader.

“A great rock is not disturbed by the wind. The mind of a wise man is not disturbed by either honor or abuse.” Fine I can accept the intent of this analogy, but I still think it is lacking. For one thing, rocks have very little in common with minds. Then there is the fact that rocks are disturbed by other things such as water. Where does that fit into the analogy? instead, just say that wise minds are not disturbed by superficial circumstances.

“Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.” Well the quote started off on a good note at least. Once again this sounds good to anyone living in a bubble, but to people in the real world with real problems it just won’t cut it. This philosophy would mean that after being raped, for instance, you would have to complement your rapist on his wonderful love making skills. Technically you may even have to participate, since it is rude to make people feel unwanted, and anything rude isn’t kind. So with this philosophy you not only have to complement your rapist, you have to show him one hell of a time.

“It is necessary to help others, not only in our prayers, but in our daily lives. If we find we cannot help others, the least we can do is to desist from harming them.” It is never necessary to pray for someone, since it is never necessary to pray. There has never been a good reason to pray, since it has never been demonstrated to do anything. In fact, studies have proven that it does nothing. The rest of the statement is fine, but the inclusion of prayer is one more example of his self serving nature and lack of intellectual honesty.

So that is the wisdom that makes this man rich? His sayings are as meaningful and sincere as the garbage you read in a Hallmark card. I have no respect for dishonest creeps like him. To me he is barely more than Jim Jones with a better business model.
Back to top Go down
RandomDude

PostSubject: Re: The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan   The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 11:14 pm

My friend was enough of a sucker that he spent 70-80 bucks for a ticket to hear the Dali Lama when he spoke to Lehigh University a few years back.
After the show was over he went to the area where they sell souvenirs of the show. On the bottom of almost every thing he looked at he was able to see stickers showing: Made in China.

He took pictures because he thought it was hilarious.

This Holiest of Holies spends 2 hours ranting about how bad china is to its people, but has no problem buying their near slave labor to sell a few trickets.

If I tried to pull the same thing I would be locked up and called a Monster.
Back to top Go down
demonist

PostSubject: Re: The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan   The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 3:48 am

you know what
i am absolutely shocked this man has not been inducted to the rock and roll hall of fame yet.
alfred nobel, invents dynamite. dalai lama accepts the nobel prize. dynamite blows up bamiyan buddhist statues.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan   The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Why People Suck :: General Discussion :: Religion-
Jump to: