Why People Suck
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why People Suck is a forum dedicated to free speech and discussion. You may discuss or vent about any topic without censorship. Create an account and share your opinions on how the world sucks and what should be done about it.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan
Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 3:48 am by demonist

» Medical Billing and Coding Could I work in a dentist office?
Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 6:16 am by matthew

» American Idiot, The Musical
Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 5:39 am by elaine

» We Are So Fucked, Our Politicians Couldn't Be Any Dumber
Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 6:23 am by elaine

» Stupid Sayings (idioms)
Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 3:23 pm by Hlok

» We are looking for articles on the following topics:
Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:22 pm by Hlok

Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:17 pm by Hlok

Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:13 pm by Hlok

Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:08 pm by Hlok

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 15 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:21 am
Top posters
Hlok (92)
Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians I_vote_lcapEmotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians I_voting_barEmotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians I_vote_rcap 
TheDevilsAdvocate (80)
Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians I_vote_lcapEmotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians I_voting_barEmotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians I_vote_rcap 
pinkladeriz (7)
aram624 (6)
peeyount (4)
Satellite One (3)
elaine (2)
RandomDude (1)
matthew (1)
vytmay (1)
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TheDevilsAdvocate
Admin
Admin
TheDevilsAdvocate

Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians Empty
PostSubject: Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians   Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 3:29 am

We all recognize that facts are what determine the truth, and proper position of an issue. However, people often hold opinions that are contrary to fact. When we recognize that this is occurring, most people have a tendency to use emotional arguments to justify their positions. The fact that this is a natural instinct doesn’t make it right though, in fact appeals to emotion are the first sign of a flawed argument. Whenever the facts support our opinions, the first thing we do is present those facts. Which brings me to my point, religious people (my main target here being evangelical preachers) always have to resort to emotional ploys because the facts do not support their opinions.

This is why evangelical preachers are as animated as they are. Along with just being drama queens, the theatrics help to drive home their emotional appeals. Their shouting and crying and pleading serve to distract the viewer from critically analyzing their statements and instead, intend to encourage them to rely on the (alleged) sincerity of the speaker. Nearly everything that they say is based off of one logical fallacy or another, but I will focus on the aggressive judgmental tactics they use to demean people, especially kids, and give them a low self-esteem.

First I will briefly explain why they wish to belittle their own parishioners. This is the basic tactic of mind control; it is also used by the military and abusive husbands. You must first break them down in order to build them up in the manner that you want them, with the ideals that you support, and the desire to remain subordinate. In the case of religion, they need you to feel like a sinner, and unworthy of redemption. Then they can introduce this great and forgiving character who will save you anyway, so long as you obey his often arbitrary demands.

A specific example that I can site is a preacher was screaming in a teenage girls face and asked if she had sinned. She said yes and he then asked if she was prepared to bash-in the head of Jesus, because according to him all sin is equivalent to bashing in Jesus’ head. The reason people like this guy feel comfortable asking anyone if they’ve sinned is that Christianity considers “immoral thoughts” to be a sin so it is virtually impossible for anyone to avoid sinning. Therefore according to their theology we require forgiveness. That is not the point though; the point is that this guy is committing two different fallacies in just one argument. He is begging the question, and committing a false analogy at the same time. And let’s not forget that he is screaming in her face, which tends to intimidate a lot of people.

He is begging the question by creating a scenario where it is nearly impossible not to sin and then asking her if she is guilty of sinning. But the most ridiculous part of the statement was equating all sin to beating someone’s head in, in this case Jesus. So according to this guy thinking of sex or eating shellfish (a sin according to the bible) is equal to murder. He is not only trying to distract her by screaming in her face, but by conflating the two things, he also trying to make her feel guilty by accusing her of hurting Jesus.

That is just one example, but religious (especially fundamental) preaching is full of them. Evangelical preachers hold the threat of hell over the heads of all their parishioners as a way to inspire fear and inhibit critical thinking. Once they establish how evil you are, and the everlasting torment that you deserve, and are destined to receive, it is easy for them to sell you on the “redemption” that they are offering. And anyone who knows anything about the history of the Christian and catholic religions know that they are really only interested in selling things.
Back to top Go down
Hlok
Admin
Admin
Hlok

PostSubject: I am sick of your logic..   Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 9:30 am

You know, you make it extremely difficult to argue or discuss your
points when you spend so much time making factual and logical points..
Back to top Go down
http://wpsf.omgforum.net
TheDevilsAdvocate
Admin
Admin
TheDevilsAdvocate

PostSubject: Re: Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians   Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 5:45 pm

you could always add to the point if you want to...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians   Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Emotional Ploys of Evangelical Christians
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Why People Suck :: General Discussion :: Religion-
Jump to: