Why People Suck
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why People Suck is a forum dedicated to free speech and discussion. You may discuss or vent about any topic without censorship. Create an account and share your opinions on how the world sucks and what should be done about it.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan
The afterlife Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 3:48 am by demonist

» Medical Billing and Coding Could I work in a dentist office?
The afterlife Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 6:16 am by matthew

» American Idiot, The Musical
The afterlife Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 5:39 am by elaine

» We Are So Fucked, Our Politicians Couldn't Be Any Dumber
The afterlife Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 6:23 am by elaine

» Stupid Sayings (idioms)
The afterlife Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 3:23 pm by Hlok

» We are looking for articles on the following topics:
The afterlife Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:22 pm by Hlok

The afterlife Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:17 pm by Hlok

The afterlife Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:13 pm by Hlok

The afterlife Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:08 pm by Hlok

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 15 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:21 am
Top posters
Hlok (92)
The afterlife I_vote_lcapThe afterlife I_voting_barThe afterlife I_vote_rcap 
TheDevilsAdvocate (80)
pinkladeriz (7)
aram624 (6)
peeyount (4)
Satellite One (3)
elaine (2)
RandomDude (1)
matthew (1)
vytmay (1)
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The afterlife

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hlok
Admin
Admin
Hlok

The afterlife Empty
PostSubject: The afterlife   The afterlife Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 2:53 am

I was thinking about life and the ridiculously meaningless existence we have and started thinking about what happens after we die. This thought process began with the assumption that it is just infinite nothingness which is a scary thought for a sentient being, but then I thought, reincarnation would not be that bad but it would not make much sense since one lifetime was meaningless enough. Then I thought, well an eternal resting place or a 'heaven' would be nice but I just could not bring myself to find anything logical about the idea of heaven. Now the part that gets me annoyed is the fact that I then shrugged and thought "I will find out when I die I guess" and went to sleep, but there are millions of people that are unable to accept that they have no idea what is coming so they force themselves to believe whichever theory they hear first. The most irritating part is the fact that this is typically the first step in most people's lives in which they decide to start blindly believing in a faith or set of ideals simply because it answers a question that they are to scared to leave openended. Worse yet, they latch onto these beliefs so strongly that they feel threatened by anyone who questions them. This just leads entire civilizations deeper into ignorance.
Back to top Go down
http://wpsf.omgforum.net
TheDevilsAdvocate
Admin
Admin
TheDevilsAdvocate

The afterlife Empty
PostSubject: Re: The afterlife   The afterlife Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 5:09 pm

this post got me thinking about the ridiculous argument of "the meaning of life", i'll have to rant about that later. i don't understand how making something up provides them with any comfort at all. as you said, we don't really know for sure either way yet. so how can they then just assert that its true, and accept it on face value? i see no reason to speculate about possibilities that currently have no proof to them.
the last part is too much of a generalization though, and in many cases probably wrong. it is hard to narrow down the primary reasons for why people believe in gods. however, i will say that in many, if not most cases, heaven and hell are used as reinforcements of faith as opposed to the creation of faith. most religious people tend to be indoctrinated into it, believing in gods before they can truly comprehend their own mortality. in this case, the fear of the unknown doesn't play a factor yet. once they believe it, and understand that they are going to die, heaven and (divine justice) hell, provide them with the comfy little security blanket they need to feel complacent.
Back to top Go down
Hlok
Admin
Admin
Hlok

The afterlife Empty
PostSubject: Ironic   The afterlife Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 5:22 pm

Which is pretty funny since by their own standards, most of the heaven/hell believers just assume they would go to heaven even though they break the rules that they base their beliefs in.
Back to top Go down
aram624
Ol' Bitty
Ol' Bitty

The afterlife Empty
PostSubject: Re: The afterlife   The afterlife Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 4:26 am

The north american indian tribes believe everything is sacred. One
cannot dismiss something because of how absurd it might sound, that is
ego. They believe this because everything is energy and that energy has
the potential to become us and beyond us... After all that I don't know.
Back to top Go down
TheDevilsAdvocate
Admin
Admin
TheDevilsAdvocate

The afterlife Empty
PostSubject: Re: The afterlife   The afterlife Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 11:19 am

Quote :
The north american indian tribes believe everything is sacred. One cannot dismiss something because of how absurd it might sound, that is ego.

that statement is absurd. Something should not be accepted just because it is believed by someone. When something is stated that is contradictory to fact, it can indeed be dismissed. people often hold beliefs that are wrong, and when they assert a claim they need to prove it with factual information. if they are unable to do that, there is no reason to accept their opinion on that issue.
Back to top Go down
Hlok
Admin
Admin
Hlok

The afterlife Empty
PostSubject: The magical discussion phrase   The afterlife Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 5:58 pm

aram624 wrote:
The north american indian tribes believe everything is sacred. One
cannot dismiss something because of how absurd it might sound, that is
ego. They believe this because everything is energy and that energy has
the potential to become us and beyond us... After all that I don't know.

I wonder how many times that works?

Hitler believed that blonde hair, blue eyed germans were sacred. One cannot dismiss something because of how absurd it sounds, that is ego. He believes that the world would be a much better place by removing people he vieqed as inferior... After all that I don't know.

The egyptians believed that their pharoahs take everything buried with them along after they die. One cannot dismiss something because of how absurd it sounds, that is ego. They believe that it is necessary that thousands of slaves and cats are buried alive... After all that I don't know.

The judges of the 1600s believed that the devil recruited thousands of witches to do his bidding. One cannot dismiss something because of how absurd it sounds, that is ego. They believed that anytime someone claimed to have seen another's "spectral image" at night, this was legally binding evidence which resulted in a death sentence... After all that I don't know.

It sounds to me like some of that "ego" would have been beneficial... But after all that I don't know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The afterlife Empty
PostSubject: Re: The afterlife   The afterlife Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The afterlife
Page 1 of 1