Why People Suck
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why People Suck is a forum dedicated to free speech and discussion. You may discuss or vent about any topic without censorship. Create an account and share your opinions on how the world sucks and what should be done about it.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan
the insincere exaltation of the military Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 3:48 am by demonist

» Medical Billing and Coding Could I work in a dentist office?
the insincere exaltation of the military Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 6:16 am by matthew

» American Idiot, The Musical
the insincere exaltation of the military Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 5:39 am by elaine

» We Are So Fucked, Our Politicians Couldn't Be Any Dumber
the insincere exaltation of the military Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 6:23 am by elaine

» Stupid Sayings (idioms)
the insincere exaltation of the military Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 3:23 pm by Hlok

» We are looking for articles on the following topics:
the insincere exaltation of the military Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:22 pm by Hlok

the insincere exaltation of the military Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:17 pm by Hlok

the insincere exaltation of the military Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:13 pm by Hlok

the insincere exaltation of the military Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:08 pm by Hlok

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 15 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:21 am
Top posters
Hlok (92)
the insincere exaltation of the military I_vote_lcapthe insincere exaltation of the military I_voting_barthe insincere exaltation of the military I_vote_rcap 
TheDevilsAdvocate (80)
the insincere exaltation of the military I_vote_lcapthe insincere exaltation of the military I_voting_barthe insincere exaltation of the military I_vote_rcap 
pinkladeriz (7)
aram624 (6)
peeyount (4)
Satellite One (3)
elaine (2)
RandomDude (1)
matthew (1)
vytmay (1)
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

the insincere exaltation of the military

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TheDevilsAdvocate
Admin
Admin
TheDevilsAdvocate

the insincere exaltation of the military Empty
PostSubject: the insincere exaltation of the military   the insincere exaltation of the military Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 4:18 pm

One thing that always gets on my nerves is the undying love that everyone proclaims to have for the military. when they say this, what they are really trying to do is use the troops as a means to show how "patriotic" (they mistake this for virtue) they are themselves. Then they seek out any criticism of the military and act as if its unjustified, and an attempt to demonize the troops. i propose that the main reason for this over the top adulation comes from a sense of gratitude, mixed with some disdain for how anti-war protesters treated Vietnam veterans that returned from war, but more importantly, guilt. we realize that these kids are forced to make sacrifices that most people don't want to make, and in all honesty are usually not worth it, and we feel guilty. and to alleviate that some of that feeling, they build up the notion of war and duty to your country.
This annoys me for three primary reasons. one that they are ordinary people, not infallible, and therefore capable of mistakes, meaning that they should be closely scrutinized because of the power that they are given. I myself don't hold them in any higher regard than i do a regular citizen, except or until they prove themselves individually worthy of exaltation. which often means i am the heathen that is so reprehensible as to question the effectiveness or necessity of their use. The second reason this pisses me off is that it accomplishes nothing. If you do not want soldiers to die unnecessarily, then stop fighting unnecessary wars.
The third reason this pisses me off, and it is more to the point that i am trying to get at here, is the insincerity of the comment. i will start with small examples of actions that indicate the dishonesty in this statement and work my way up.
first, if the majority of people supported and believe in the nobility and sacrifice that they proclaim is the backbone of the military, why don't they serve themselves? or request their children to serve? why did we abolish the draft if giving your life for your country is the pinnacle of virtue? Why was the draft abolished? as a matter of fact, people don't believe in war, or nation building when it's their ass on the line. The draft was abolished (of course it wasn’t presented in this manner) to prevent wealthy people from having to risk their lives in combat. So what they are really saying is: this war isn’t worth risking my life for, but I’m fine with risking yours for it.
Then there are the even more apparent and contemptible examples of their “love” for the soldiers. This is in the form of their treatment of soldiers who return with mental and physical disabilities. The story about the VA hospital, Walter Reed broke about three years ago now, and it is a disgusting example of how much society cares about people who are out-of-sight-out-of-mind. The soldiers, who were in the care of this hospital experienced not only neglect, but also unsanitary conditions which in some cases caused their health to deteriorate (via infections). These conditions are not acceptable from any health care provider, so why would we allow people we supposedly hold in high regard to suffer in them?
Then there is the homeless situation. About twenty-three percent of the homeless population consists of veterans. Only thirteen percent of the actual population consists of veterans, so that is a very significant number. This number is influenced by wars, causing the numbers to rise because troops can come back with mental illnesses or substance abuse problems which are two main factors in homelessness. Once more I will ask if the sacrifices made by these individuals were truly appreciated, would we not do more to ensure that they get the proper medical treatment when they can home? which would go a long way towards keeping them of the streets as well.

Last edited by PlagueBearer94 on Sun May 16, 2010 5:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Hlok
Admin
Admin
Hlok

the insincere exaltation of the military Empty
PostSubject: But I bought a bumper sticker..   the insincere exaltation of the military Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 10:49 pm

Excellent post. I agree for the most part, especially about the homeless population and medical treatment. However, I do not believe that anyone feels guilty at all for the soldiers, it is the opposite. The majority of people imagine life as a soldier as some grand and glorious life of doling out justice in some magically peaceful way. That is why everyone acts so appalled anytime they hear a story about an innocent dieing, or worse yet an enemy soldier being tortured. Out-of-sight-out-of-mind explains half of it, but the other half is the distorted version of reality people create for themselves.
Back to top Go down
http://wpsf.omgforum.net

the insincere exaltation of the military
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Why People Suck :: General Discussion :: Political Correctness-
Jump to: