Why People Suck
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why People Suck is a forum dedicated to free speech and discussion. You may discuss or vent about any topic without censorship. Create an account and share your opinions on how the world sucks and what should be done about it.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» The Dalai Lama is just another charlatan
The Question of "The Meaning of Life" Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 3:48 am by demonist

» Medical Billing and Coding Could I work in a dentist office?
The Question of "The Meaning of Life" Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 6:16 am by matthew

» American Idiot, The Musical
The Question of "The Meaning of Life" Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 5:39 am by elaine

» We Are So Fucked, Our Politicians Couldn't Be Any Dumber
The Question of "The Meaning of Life" Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 6:23 am by elaine

» Stupid Sayings (idioms)
The Question of "The Meaning of Life" Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 3:23 pm by Hlok

» We are looking for articles on the following topics:
The Question of "The Meaning of Life" Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:22 pm by Hlok

The Question of "The Meaning of Life" Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:17 pm by Hlok

The Question of "The Meaning of Life" Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:13 pm by Hlok

The Question of "The Meaning of Life" Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:08 pm by Hlok

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 15 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:21 am
Top posters
Hlok (92)
The Question of "The Meaning of Life" I_vote_lcapThe Question of "The Meaning of Life" I_voting_barThe Question of "The Meaning of Life" I_vote_rcap 
TheDevilsAdvocate (80)
The Question of "The Meaning of Life" I_vote_lcapThe Question of "The Meaning of Life" I_voting_barThe Question of "The Meaning of Life" I_vote_rcap 
pinkladeriz (7)
aram624 (6)
peeyount (4)
Satellite One (3)
elaine (2)
RandomDude (1)
matthew (1)
vytmay (1)
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The Question of "The Meaning of Life"

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TheDevilsAdvocate
Admin
Admin
TheDevilsAdvocate

The Question of "The Meaning of Life" Empty
PostSubject: The Question of "The Meaning of Life"   The Question of "The Meaning of Life" Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 5:46 pm

The fact that religious people think that the question “what is the meaning of life without god?” is an impossible question for atheists, is a ridiculous notion. This question is nothing more than bullshit emotional rhetoric, designed to overwhelm someone (and I’ll tell you why in a minute). First off, asking: what is the meaning of life, is begging the question, and a good hint that it is a fallacious question to begin with. Who says that there is a meaning? Or if there is a meaning, that it is a universally uniform meaning. They are also implying that the meaning must be dictated to us externally by a superior being, without providing any
evidence of this assertion. The meaning of your life can be completely different from the meaning of my life. And since we decide the meanings for ourselves, it most likely will be a little different. Therefore they are trying to overwhelm their opponent by giving them the nearly impossible task of creating a universally accepted meaning of life. It is a “loaded” and subjective question, and that makes it a deceptive and dishonest tactic.

Then there is their typical answer: “to serve gods will, and go to heaven for eternity.” First of all, what kind of life is spent in servitude? We abolished slavery for a reason, maybe god should do the same. If you have an eternity in heaven after this life, than this life doesn’t really matter; except for the fact that it is required to get you into heaven. What do 70 years matter when compared to eternity? But then that is the point isn’t it? It is what keeps people content and suppressed in this life. It teaches them not to care about this world because a “better one” is coming. The thought of an eternal afterlife doesn’t provide the meaning of this life or world, it actually diminishes it by making it insignificant by comparison.
Back to top Go down
Hlok
Admin
Admin
Hlok

The Question of "The Meaning of Life" Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Question of "The Meaning of Life"   The Question of "The Meaning of Life" Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 10:21 pm

Besides, what exactly is serving god, or doing gods will anyway. Every time I hear this I am told that serving god means praying, preaching the word of god, and giving to others. What kind of service is this? Why does god want billions of questions, complaints, and demands forced upon him every day? Even more confusing, if there is any form of omnipotent being, why does he need anyone to spread his words, or better yet, why did he give different words to different groups of people around the world(some of them directly conflicting one another). The only one that makes any sense is giving to others but only because you can take it out of context and assume it means any time you help anyone which includes any form of service. But why not just say that then? Plus, any time a religious individual makes any decision whether it be asking for a donation or starting the crusades they always pull the "I am only serving god's will" card. Since when was all of these additional tasks added to god's will? How did you find out that you were assigned this task? Did you get a different pamphlet?
Back to top Go down
http://wpsf.omgforum.net

The Question of "The Meaning of Life"
Page 1 of 1